Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

Being Neighborly (Hettir)

Being Neighborly (Hettir)

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:17 pm

M3D7 139ABY

Jax was out of his armor for once, seated upon the port side heavy engine of his personal vessel. It and it's twin on the starboard side were what made the vessel such a powerful landing craft, capable of being angled during flight to work in tandem with the repulsor lift generator to either arrest high velocity descents or make for teeth grinding lift offs that would minimize it's exposure to enemy fire. It also made for a great way to arrive unexpectedly in the middle of a target's safe house as well, and Jax had deployed more than once faster than his opponents could dive for their own blasters.

However, those tactics relied on the engine functioning properly and the hydraulics had begun to get sluggish on this side, making for a surprising port side list the last time he'd come in hot. So it was that he was elbows deep in the guts of the transitional coupling, his coveralls spattered with hydraulic fluid, and watching the horizon with vertically slitted eyes as he attempted to screw a new line into it's connector when he saw the speck of movement that informed him a land speeder was incoming. Without pulling his arms free Jax gave a piercing whistle that made one of his cousins on the fence look up. "Land speeder, incoming."

Jax finally got the threads to catch and used his personal strength to ratchet the connection down tight, giving it only a safety torque with the hydrospanner. His eyes remained on the speck as it closed the distance from the horizon, forming into exactly what he'd suspected it to be. The Mando'ade, Falleen by birth, was wiping his clawed hands off on a rag and standing at his full 6'8" height when the vehicle was finally close enough for him to identify conclusively. "It's Hettir," he called down to the gate. It was already open, always open, but the call made sure it stayed open and that there would be friendly smiles amongst Clan Xefern to greet their neighbor.

The massive warrior made the climb down and hit the mobile sani-wash that he'd pulled over to his ship along with the trundle toolboxes. He was just finishing the task of removing hydraulic fluid from his otherwise pristine scales when his Clan's neighbor drove his speeder through the opening in the fence. Jax waved him over to park, wondering what had brought the other Mando'ade out to see them. "Su'cuy gar!" Jax had a pleasant expression on around a shining white sharp toothed smile as he greeted his neighbor.
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

Faction: Unknown

Re: Being Neighborly (Hettir)

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 pm

The wind buffeted his body as the landspeeder tore through the country side. It was almost as if you had to be in the proper mood to repair the inner workings of a helmet. Being frustrated at a few wires and curved piece of durasteel wasn't worth it, thus the rest of the day was taken off. It was likely that Hettir would be back in later that afternoon to continue anyways. Besides, there was business to attend to and today seemed the most profitable to do it.

He glanced to the pack in the seat next to him from the corner of his eye, double checking its contents were indeed present. Upon coming home briefly for lunch, he spilled the beans with his afternoon plans to which his children found most delight. They had baked Uj cake that morning, and encouraged their father to take a tin to share. He silently hoped that his wife had been there supervising with a close eye; his kids got adventurous all too often, which usually lead to trouble. The thought brought a small laugh.

At last the Xefern Depot, and his neighbor, came into view. Following the path up to the gate, he slowed his speed and pulled into the spot Jax had indicated. Sliding over the side, Hettir returned the greeting. ”Me’vaar ti gar?”. He asked, after taking off his helmet and placing it on the seat. Reaching for the pack, he slung it over his left shoulder before approaching with a grin.

~*-=-*~
((Me’vaar ti gar? – How are you? ))
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:36 pm

The Xefern property sat right in the middle of a salty flat amidst the jungle region of Concord Dawn, making it one of the few open stretches of ground in the area where one could land a vessel of any real size. The ground was firm, the jungle didn't have to be fought back weekly, and there was little chance of growing any crops. The Xefern's had done the best they could with the property and become tightly knit with their neighbors for trade, food resources, and even stocks for the restaurant that they operated in the depot. Hettir had another skill that the Xefern's greatly valued, sending him work just as often as they could even if it was just their own people commissioning weapon designs.

Hettir was a good neighbor and well liked by Clan Xefern so the call that he'd come to visit could be heard being shouted around the Depot from time to time from where he and Jax were standing. "I've been out of my armor for a couple of hours now and nobody has tried to kill me... I'm taking that as a strong indicator that my family still loves me and none of my enemies have figured out where I live yet." Jax held out his arm for a warrior's shake, each to grasp the other's forearm. "It's good you came, I think we have a couple of minor orders waiting for you and I have a project that's been bouncing around in my head that I wanted to commission if you think it can be done."

Jax turned them toward the main house, where the kitchen was and Jax could offer Hettir a cup of caf or the like. Jax almost always drank water due to his inhuman metabolism not agreeing with large amounts of stimulants, as long as he was warm he was awake and energetic. "How's the family?"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Hettir firmly grasped Jax’s forearm in greeting. It was definitely good to see him again; the neighbors had always been quite friendly and excellent company. Going for a visit always brought a smile, and usually good news in terms of neat little projects that were always entertaining to complete.
“Hahahaha! That’s definitely good news; I’d be disappointed if I suddenly showed up only to discover your passing.”
The Mandalorian returned a small nod and a smile in acknowledgement in the direction he heard his name called. It was nice to know that he felt equally as welcome to when Clan Xefern visited his home.

”Excellent! I’m growing tired of the same old repair jobs. Your minor orders shouldn't be an issue, but this project of yours sounds like music to my ears! Likewise, I have a request for you, my friend! A small crate with a few orders I was hoping you’d be able to ship to Mandalore, if you have something headed that way.”

There had been an order just under a week ago that was finally completed and ready to ship. For now, the crate was locked back at the shop, packed and set to go. While Hettir could do the run himself, it was easier to keep working on other jobs while having someone else complete the delivery.

“The Clan is doing well, and for the family, they’re fantastic. However, I believe the twins are becoming too adventurous; it may get them into trouble one of these days. Speaking of which---” Sliding the bag around, Hettir reached inside and grabbed the tin of cake. The twins often referred to Jax as 'The Climbing Gym', for his massive height and ability to withstand their rough housing. “At the moment they heard I was headed here, It was insisted that I share their first Uj Cake.”

“And yourself? How goes the Xefern Clan?”
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 pm

"Not nearly as disappointed as I would be." Jax admitted honestly. Nothing could ruin a man's day quite like getting dead. He turned his head to look where Hettir looked and saw one of his younger cousins waving in passing. There would be a lot of that as the visit went on, without a doubt. Though nobody discussed it with Hettir, the man was considered a trusted contractor to the family business.

Jax nodded knowingly at the smaller man. "Most of them are probably modifications, it's a sad Mando'ade who can't fix his own gun short of a catastrophic failure or structural compromise." He looked around to make sure nobody was closing in to overhear what came next. "As for my project... it's a ground up, one of a kind design. Custom work from top to bottom, based off a light cannon. I got the idea when this Rodian pulled a slug thrower on me, worked on a chemical reaction contained in a plastic cylinder... I can explain more when you're ready to start drawing up the basics." His smile could have chilled Hoth, but where the reptilian version of joy was coming from was anyone's guess.

There were nearly two dozen combat ready members of the Clan Xefern floating around the holding or crewing the Final Contract at any given time, at least another half dozen out in the galaxy working on off-site business, and their individual families working the depot or the satellite homes along the boarder of the holding. Clan Xefern was strong and had served as a full Mercenary Company on more than one occasion, much to their profit. That size came with influence, and that influence was greatly served by being on friendly terms with other Mandalorians. "Fey'bel grew up with the Mandalore, has her on a first name basis and is hip deep in the Clan Leaders Council. I'm certain that there is a reason one of us or another will be headed to Mandalore in short order."

Of course, why that information was of interest to the Xeferns was beyond even Jax, but the Clan's leaders had declared it thus. It was for Jax to merely do his mother's bidding for the Clan. Those two children, the twins, were something that Jax didn't envy Hettir. The Falleen had every intention of raising a few of his own, likely battlefield adoptions when they presented themselves as he had little hope of attracting one of his own species to the Mandalorian way of life, but so far the mood hadn't struck him. The Uj Cake that was presented to him was right out of their playbook too. He took it and, very much in his nature when not wearing a helmet, he sniffed at it. Nothing leaped out at him as wrong but all the same... "I'll have it tested. You tell them I said it was delicious and record their reactions."

"We are solvent, profitable even. The wave of chaos that flowed out from the formation of the Galactic Federation Triumvirate has been good for business, settling all the petty disputes of the various members of the Unaligned Systems accords has been doubly so. Of course, things are starting to balance out and the only big money flowing out of the governments these days are the Sith bounties... We hesitate to chase those, cause they tend to see it coming."
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 am

Hettir couldn’t agree more. While he didn’t fear death or what death would bring, there was still the fact that he had much more to do in his life. Besides, if he died, his wife would probably kill him. He smiled at the thought.

Modifications weren’t a problem, but Hettir always went through the weapon in detail to ensure its maximum working capacity; checking for cracks and even dents or chips. If he was going to do a job, it was going to be done right; Hettir was just that much of a perfectionist. What Jax said was true though, most could fix weapons almost as well as he could… Hettir just made the weapons… ‘special’. While he knew that Jax’s weapons would be in spectacular condition, it was still worth the effort to look for the little things.

Hettir rubbed his chin in thought. If it was anything similar to a slug thrower, there were hundreds of ways to design and customize it, from pump action to single shot. Based off of a light cannon as well though. This could certainly be interesting. “The look on your face definitely tells me this will be an interesting project.” Hettir would make the weapon, but he wasn’t quite sure he really wanted to know what Jax had in mind for it. His neighbor seemed quite... ecstatic about the whole thing. “I’m sure my datapad has room enough to take some notes. I have some flimsy in the speeder as well.”

Hettir knew that with Mandalore being so close that someone in Clan Xefern would be headed that way at one point. However, he hadn’t known the bit about the council. The Mando kept that to himself. “Excellent. I’ll drop it off within the next few days. I can arrange it so there is someone waiting on Mandalore to retrieve it.” That made things all the easier.
He watched Jax take the cake a chuckled at his comment; being a bounty hunter as well, he could relate to the cautious approach. He knew the cake was safe, but was curious as to what the results might tell him. He had never tested a cake before.

((OOC: I hope a datapad is correct, couldn't think for the life of me what else it would be called. :P ))
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 pm

"So, is that all that brings you to us today, setting up a delivery and picking up your new orders?" Jax asked as he guided the other Mandalorian toward the main structure. At the very least he would get the guy a meal or something to drink stronger than well water. They could easily discuss the specifications for the weapon Jax had been brewing up in his mind over a meal once the relatives got through swinging by to say hi to the neighbor. For the moment the specially made cake was being held in his off hand for lack of something to do with it at the moment.

They pushed through the swinging doors on the customer side of the main shop, Jax leading the way through the general store and through an empty doorway into the diner area. The massive Mando'ade pulled a chair out at the corner table and seated himself, whistling sharply toward the kitchen to get somebody out there. "Jax and Hettir!" He called out just to ensure polite service. "So, brother. What's new? Had any work off planet lately or been making ends meet in the workshop?"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm

“Maybe I was just in the mood for some good company.” Hettir followed, double checking he had his datapad in the pack that contained the uj cake. It was right where it usually was, and to his fortune, small sheets of flimsy; this would go well for sketching make shift ideas and designs for this concoction of an weapon. Closing back up the bag, he slung it over his shoulder. “I don’t know, something just feels off… like a storm brewing.” He shrugged.

Taking a seat across from Jax, Hettir dumped his bag under the table to ensure it wouldn’t get in the way. He rubbed his face with his hands as his neighbor called to the kitchen, and with a small sigh, placed his wrists on the table. “As of late, just fiddling in the shop. Perhaps that’s why I’m feeling a bit uneasy. Been to quiet.”

He had made the choice not to take a few bounty hunting trips recently because of his children’s age. In other words, he had gotten distracted. It was a whole different experience raising children; a task which he really enjoyed. He loved his family, and spending the time together was better than he had imagined. None the less, it was beginning to get to the point here Hettir needed to get out and about; can't really sit still for any longer. He rubbed his chin in thought for a moment, before sitting back with a smile.
“Surely you must have been more adventurous then I have been!"
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Thu May 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Jax's scales turned a deep blue as he looked on the other Mandalorian through narrow eyes before he brightened, literally, and shot him a sly grin. "You're restless, you've caught cabin fever being stuck over there with Mar’eyce and the kids. You know, by nature we are supposed to be nomads. That's why hardly any of us make a living farming... even the clans that are known for being farmers spend half their time out and about." Jax chuckled at the idea of Mandalorians actually making livings as anything other than soldiers of one sort or another. Sure, lots of the Clans had some form of 'day job' going for them. Something to do while at home and pad the accounts with start up credits, or to show the tax collectors back when there was a galactic government claiming to be in charge around the joint. The farms produced food for the family and culture, the smiths kept everything running, etc. but it wasn't what Mandalorians did.

Mandalorians wore armor and kicked ass. That was their calling in the galaxy, and it paid rather well so long as sentient beings couldn't manage to get along in the slightest. "Why don't you pick up something from one of the bounty boards? Get out of the house and make sure you still got it, 'cause those twins are gonna be old enough to tag along in no time flat. You could even tag along on the run to Mandalore, if you wanted. Get you a little extra pay and a trip to the mother land, yada yada yada." His cousin Shem'la came out and gave the two males a beaming smile. "What can I get you Hettir?"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Hettir’s thumb rubbed his fingers before sliding into a fist. He was clearly thinking, temporarily off in his own little place, which let his childhood ‘habit’ surface; his little ‘mental scar’. The process repeated a few times as he absorbed hiw brother's words.
… "You're restless, you've caught cabin fever being stuck over there with Mar’eyce and the kids.” …

The hand instantly went to his nose, and he pinched the bridge before running the hand through his spiky hair; he exhaled heavily. It was good to know that he wasn't going crazy; it was just disappointing to have to have someone else tell him so. He had gotten so caught up with his children’s teaching that he had set aside his other 'duties', what he had been trained and taught to do.

“I suppose I just needed to hear someone else say it outlou- hey, hey now!” He sat forward and rested his forearms on the table. “I haven’t been ‘gone’ for that long. I like to think of it as… an ‘extended break’.” He said so ‘matter of fact’-ly, a smile slowly curving up his face.
“….make sure I’ve still got it…” He muttered under his breath, followed by a short chuckle. The thought of bringing his kids with him and showing them the ropes seemed to brighten him up a bit more; he knew Jax was right.
“I would be a fool to not take your advice though. Perhaps I will tag along to Mandalore, see if there’s anything interesting floating around.”

“Just caf, vor’e.” He grinned up at Shem’la. He wasn’t too partiularily famished, but the trip and all this thinking made him thirsty. Besides all that, he knew the food was good, safe to eat, and the service was always spectacular.

(( Vor’e – Thanks!))
Hettir Kyram

Next

Return to Xefern Depot